Estranged Relative Trying to Contest a Will | VA Estate Planning Attorney
My estranged brother is trying to contest our late mother’s will

Contact Us Today

Visit Our Blog

Office Location

Kamerow Law Firm, PLLC
5001 Seminary Road, Suite 110
Alexandria, VA 22311
Phone: 703-370-8088
Fax: 703-370-1714

When you are handling your late parent’s estate, you must make sure that you have legal protection if you find someone is contesting the will. People who are not satisfied with the contents of the will will often contest the document. However, they will be hard-pressed to contest the document assuming there is no supporting evidence. You still need to have an attorney on your side who knows how to handle these cases. The attorney will be able to help you throughout the process of the case, and they can gather evidence that will help you get past this ordeal.

Other Wills

If there are other wills that have been signed by your parents, you need to bring them to your attorney immediately. Your attorney can determine which will was signed most recently, and your attorney can determined when and where they were signed. These extra documents cannot be used against you if your attorney finds that the will being contested is the most current document.

Debunking False Evidence

Many people will present false wills or documents that were signed under duress when they are contesting the administration of an estate. However, you can ask your attorney to debunk any evidence that is brought forth. People are often tempted to force the elderly to sign documents, or they simply forge the documents to make them look authentic. Your attorney can debunk all this evidence, prove that it is fake and even charges brought against the person who faked the documents.

Contesting In Court

When you are taken to court over these documents, you want to make sure that your attorney is arguing the case for you. They have courtroom experience, and they will be able to present the case to a judge in a way that is compelling. You should not try to do this on your own simply because probate law is so incredibly complicated. If you are trying to contest this on your own, you will likely lose to a smarter attorney on the other side of the aisle.

If you have estranged relatives who are contesting a will, do not despair. You can ask for help from an attorney who can handle the case from start to finish. Call 703-370-8088 or contact us online today to seek legal aid.