Who is Most Likely to be Injured in a Motorcycle Accident? | Alexandria, VA
703-370-8088
Who is Most Likely to be Injured in a Motorcycle Accident?

Contact Us Today

Visit Our Blog

Office Location

Kamerow Law Firm, PLLC
5001 Seminary Road, Suite 110
Alexandria, VA 22311
Phone: 703-370-8088
Fax: 703-370-1714

When a motorcycle and another vehicle collide, one or more of the people involved in the crash can suffer a severe injury. There are many factors that can play into who is injured and which of the victims is injured worst, such as the angle of the collision, each victim’s health and fitness level, the speed at which the collision occurred, and whether the victims were using safety devices like a helmet for the motorcyclist or seatbelts for those in cars and other passenger vehicles.

 

Statistically, certain individuals are more likely to be injured in motorcycle accidents than others. Motorcyclists are more likely than motorists to not only be involved in collisions, but to be injured by them. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), for every 100,000 cars on the road, 13.1 are involved in fatal accidents each year versus 72.34 fatal crashes for every 100,000 motorcycles. Motorcyclists have an 80 percent chance of being injured or killed in accidents versus a 20 percent chance for motorists.

 

Different Injuries for Different Age Groups

Among motorcyclists, riders over the age of 40 are more likely than younger riders to be killed in collisions. Older riders are also more likely to suffer injuries, including severe injuries, than younger riders. This was attributed to a few factors, including:

  • Older riders’ slower reaction times;
  • Older riders’ more fragile bones; and
  • The increased likelihood of rollovers with larger motorcycles, which older riders tend to prefer.

 

Negligent Motorcyclists are Often to Blame for their Accidents

A motorcyclist’s age is not the only factor tied to an increased risk of injury. According to NHTSA from 2015, a significant percentage of motorcycle accidents can be attributed to motorcyclist negligence. A few statistics to support this include:

  • 33 percent of motorcyclists involved in fatal collisions were speeding at the time of their accidents, versus only 19 percent of passenger car drivers;
  • 27 percent of motorcyclists involved in fatal collisions had a blood alcohol content over the legal limit of 0.08 percent at the time of their accidents; and
  • 27 percent of motorcyclists involved in fatal collisions did not have valid licenses at the time of their accidents.

 

Work with an Experienced Alexandria Motorcycle Accident Lawyer

Injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident can have substantial expenses. If you are facing large bills because of your motorcycle accident injury, you could be entitled to receive compensation for these bills through a personal injury claim. To learn more, contact our team of motorcycle accident lawyers at Kamerow Law Firm, PLLC today to set up your initial consultation with us.